Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

Bird Competition: #20 Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)

From Birds 2013


Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major), Nikon D90, AF-S DX VR Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED, 300 mm, f/5.6, 1/500 s, ISO1600


Today was an interesting day in nature. A cold, crispy weather (-12 °C is not something we see every day in March in Helsinki) and sun was shining brightly. In a local wood I found a woodpecker, the only time I've been able to photograph this common bird when it's neither flying nor pecking a tree. So while this quite noisy and there are too few pixels per bird it was a nice experience.

Suddenly crows started to warn about something. I couldn't see anything and they calmed soon down. When I started to move a big bird which I was unable to identify flew away from a tree only five meters or so from me. The crows started the uproar again.

The sunday night was crowned by aurora borealis which I unfortunately missed by fifteen minutes or so. I found one spectacular image at Google+.

1 comment: